Friday, January 29, 2010

3 years ago today...

How blessed we have been to be given the honor of being parents to our three girls. I am so thankful for our children and remember a time when it seemed a family of THREE would be almost impossible. I will never take this for granted. Our girls are loved beyond measure and I thank God for bringing them into our lives.

Today marks a very special day. 3 years ago today, we came face to face with our Mara-Grace Xi Yu Ying! It is a moment I will never forget for as long as I live. We are celebrating our family day by going to Mara's favorite Chinese Food restaurant for supper. She is most excited! And also happily told her Arts & Crafts teacher this morning that today was the day Mommy & Daddy got to hold her for the first time!

Our Mara-Grace has come so far in the 3 years we have been together. She is changing daily and what a miracle she will always be. We love you far beyond words our darling Mara-Grace Xi Yu Ying YING (the 2nd Ying was added on lovingly as they called Mara, Ying Ying in China).

I am including the post I wrote on the day we held our angel for the first time.

Much love... xo

Monday January 29th, 2007

Here we are, in our hotel, with Mara-Grace Xi Yu Ying (aka Ying Ying)!!!! Yes indeed! She is currently playing on the floor beside me with her Daddy.

We made our way to the new Civil Affairs office which was an adventure in itself! Our guide asked for directions twice and the taxi driver was not sure that the address existed. We found ourselves down a side street that was not moving at the far end. On the street and onto the sidewalk were approximately 40 police officers. Our guide jumped out and asked what was going on and where the address was. Since we are unsure as to where we are, and the fact that the traffic was not moving, along with the presence of so many officers, it was rather daunting to say the very least! When Louise got back into the car I asked her if everything was ok. She laughed and told us that we could get out and that the police were there for their morning briefing in the street! LOL

We walked ahead into a neighborhood apartment complex and were unable at first to find the right building. All the while feeling as though we are about to explode with anticipation. Finally we reach our destination and Louise buzzes in and we hear a baby crying. I could see her feet (she was in the arms of the woman opening the door) and I am dying to see her face but I couldn’t through the bars on the door. Never did I picture us meeting our daughter at the door!!!! But, the door opened and there she was! Fussing and then stopped and stared at us! It all happened so quickly! We walked in and they went to pass her to me, I held out my hands and she dove into my arms! She stopped fussing and literally held on to me. She melted my heart in a single moment! She even hugged me and put her head on my shoulder. Sweetheart! She wanted nothing to do with the ladies from the orphanage or civil affairs! She stayed in my arms and was very content (I admit, I was prepared for many tears! In her file it said she is very attached to her foster family, doesn’t take well to strangers etc…) Anyway, she did really well! Then it was Kev’s turn to hold her and she started to fuss a little but was ok. Well, we passed her back and forth for the few hours we were there and she had a bit of her bottle and ADORED her cheerios and we couldn’t have been happier. I have to say though, that Miss Mara-Grace is now a Daddy’s girl!!!! She seems content in my presence and laughs and smiles at me, but it is Daddy she wants! He cannot leave her sight! I am just pleased that she is bonding and doing so well. It has been a very hectic day. We have been in and out of taxis all day. And the taxi rides have your heart in your throat! We got home from our morning at Civil affairs and then we fed her a little lunch in our room and met Louise at 2 and went to another apartment complex for paperwork, and then to the passport office (we had a long wait there, but Miss Mara was good as gold) and then we went to the Notary’s office. There is a new law here that stipulates one must remain in Yunnan for 15 days before obtaining their passport. However, Louise has requested a special exemption from this. We are really praying that we can get this on Friday (5 days). It is a bit stressful and we are not impressed that we were not informed of this possibility. Louise is optimistic that they can have it ready. I sure hope so. We are not sure what this would mean if it wasn’t the case.

We only got back to the hotel after 5pm. It has been a very long day but Mara is doing really well. She has had water, and she is a big eater! She has wanted rice cookies all afternoon and she also had a huge supper. Rice, carrots, broccoli, watermelon, pineapple and slivered orange. She is like a little dictator pointing at things!

They gave us back the photo album we had sent to her and they also gave us the disposable camera we had sent! I am very excited about this and cannot wait to develop the pictures.

Uh Oh, she just bumped her bum and I went “Boom! Are you ok?” and she gave me the biggest grin! What an angel. Her hair is sticking straight out to both sides at the top. We just took out her little elastics that were holding her pigtails in all day. I thought her head must be sore! She is a funny little bean and seems very sharp. She was even looking at a book today, when she opened it the picture was upside down and she turned it the right way up. She notices everything and everyone!

As for Mara-Grace’s health. She currently has quite a cold and cough, but she doesn’t seem to be requiring anything for it except extra fruits etc… She is strong and able to walk around holding onto things. She takes steps to get things that she wants. So, yes she is walking She was floating in her bib at supper! Other than that, I have not changed her clothes. Just her diapers! She fits the size 3 pampers perfectly. I would love to give her a bath, although she had one this morning at the orphanage. I don’t want to overwhelm her. Her body and hair look clean and I think we will just wash her face and hands and put on some lotion and new pj’s. I think she might panic in the tub tonight. She is looking at a Corduroy book standing up and now looking through her crib as we speak. She has put the book in, and just pulled it out and ran over near her , you guessed it, Daddy! What a Daddy’s girl!!!!

We cannot thank you all enough for your loving messages and support and encouragement. The prayers are so much appreciated and we certainly have been blessed today. As I typed that I spoke to her and asked her what she was doing and she gave me a big grin and even a giggle! All is well and we are looking at a miracle! For those of you who are still waiting, please know that it will happen. What a glorious feeling!

All of our love. Xoxoxo

There is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God for our incredible gift. Mara-Grace is a beautiful blessing and I cannot imagine our lives without her in them. I am beyond thankful to everyone who has played a role in Mara's life. Although we will never know her birth parents, I pray for them and cannot even begin to describe how I honor them for their sacrifice beyond measure. I hope and pray that they are at peace and know that their beautiful angel is loved beyond words. I also cannot help but think of those who took care of our darling in the orphanage and in her foster family. I have a great love, respect and absolute appreciation for all they have done for our daughter.

We hold a miracle every day and we will be eternally grateful.

xoxo


Scrapbooking at WiddlyTinks.com
Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com

4 comments:

  1. Happy Mara-Grace Day!! I hope you enjoyed your night out for dinner and that Mara Grace had lots of fun with her Mom,Dad and Sisters. I was very touched that Mara told me about this important day in class and it is so sweet that she makes me crafts to take home. She is a very giving child and you should be so happy and proud of her. Enjoy your night and week-end.

    Talk soon
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Family Day!!! The love and gratefullness you have for Mara-Grace just pours out of you. I love the account of your first day together.

    Just beautiful! I'm sure you had a wonderful celebration at dinner.

    Hugs,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. FĂ©licitations pour vos trois ans ensemble !
    Mara est magnifique ... toute cute avec ses 2 petites lulus !!! Mmmm un bon resto chinois, régalez-vous :)
    Dominique xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Family Day...I loved reading your post from three years ago. Your gotcha moments are by far the best I have ever heard. I am convinced that your beautiful quiet spirit reaches out to the hearts of your girls and they know instantly...you are the one!!!

    You are very blessed

    Enjoy

    Helen

    ReplyDelete